Clement Catholic Church is a Catholic community located in Gordon
County of Northwest Georgia. As a diverse Catholic community with
Anglo and Hispanic members, we are blessed by our God with this
diversity. Saint Clement Parish strives to offer programs,
activities, and worship that bring together all parish members in
their journey to know and love Jesus Christ.
mass for Catholics in the Calhoun area was held in 1949 in the log
cabin used by the Calhoun Women's Club in downtown Calhoun by the
missionary fathers of LaSalette. That log cabin was on the site of
today's Calhoun Gordon County Library. By 1958 five families
attended services in the old WEBS radio station building which was
located on the site of today's Wachovia Bank Branch near downtown
Calhoun. Other times it was in the conference room of the
downtown Calhoun First National Bank (now BB&T) and even at Lewis
DiPrima's original shoe shop. In the 1960s, they relocated to a
building on Highway 53 that today is the W.C. Burdette Real
Estate/Calhoun Welding Supply buildings. Mrs. Godon asked
her husband to set aside a building for the growing mission
members of the group included Lois Silks, Lewis DiPrima, and Erna
Wyatt who remain members of Saint Clement's today. Marquita
Smith's mother, Mrs. R. K. Smith was also a founding member.
Ground was broken at the present location for construction of a
church in 1969, and on December 7th, the first Mass was held in the
new church. Fifteen families made up the original parish at
that time. They had doggedly raised funds for construction of
the church in many ways, but the best remembered method was through
the sale around town of Mr., DiPrima's famous spaghetti sauce, which
was personally delivered by other parishioners!
The original church is where the
parish office and the Pastor’s offices are. That church was built in
1968-69 and was a red brick church whose western wall came to about
the entrance to the “new church.” When you go over the little ramp
before going downstairs, that is the dividing line between old and
parish hall is today’s kitchen and café. The parish in 1968 had 15
registered families. The rectory was about a mile away off Maplewood
Drive. That served as the parish rectory till 1999-2000 when it was
In 1998, the LaSalette Fathers turned the parish over to the
Archdiocese of Atlanta. Today Saint Clement's parish consists
of nearly 800 families and the church has undergone several
renovations and expansions.
Decree Of Establishment: St.
Bulletin, Sept. 20, 1984)
“The seeds of
the Catholic Faith were planted in Bartow and Gordon Counties back in
1949 when Mass was celebrated in a log cabin used by the Calhoun
Women’s Club. Spiritual care continued under the guidance of the
Redemptorist Fathers from Saint Joseph’s Church in Dalton until
Father Dennis Dullea, the new Pastor in Dalton and a priest of the
Archdiocese of Atlanta, planned the construction of a church building
that was completed in 1969.
At the 1969
dedication of the building, Father Joseph J. Loftus, MS., a LaSalette
priest, was the first pastor along with Father Peter T. McKeown,
M.S., his assistant. The Mission of Saint
Clement was comprised of fifteen families that year.
has grown steadily over the past fifteen years, reaching one hundred
fifty families in 1983.
consultation with the Presbyteral Council, according to the
prescription of Canon 515.2, the Pastor of Saint Francis of Assisi
Church, Cartersville, and the Dean of the area, it is in the best
interest of the Faithful and the Church-at-large to accord this
mission full parish status.
the canonical consultation having been made, I now decree the
establishment of Saint Clement’s
Parish, Calhoun, Georgia.
boundaries of the Parish of Saint Clement
shall coincide with the boundaries of Gordon County in the State of
pastor will be its present administrator, Reverend Michael J.
Flanagan, M.S. The effective date is September 20, 1984.
Atlanta, Georgia this 14th day of September 1984.
Thomas A. Donnellan
Peter A. Dora, Ecclesiastical Notary”
Antidotes about the formation
and history of St. Clement's Catholic Church as told by parishioners
or related in documents.